Friday, November 5, 2010

Friday Inspiration: Collections

 Collections are a rather strange phenomenon and often times the way they are displayed says quite a bit more about the collector than it does about the items.

Perhaps they are enclosed in a glass cabinet, because although they are beautiful items for display perhaps they are worth too much to leave on an open shelf.  Or perhaps it is a pile of postage stamps in an old shirt box, or shuffled stationary lining a desk drawer.  Or perhaps a few things here and there that have gathered in the corners of a person's life.


I think my favorite collections are those that are a little messy, or cluttered with only a vague sense of order.  Most of the time I just enjoy seeing like items grouped together.  I often characterize myself as a collector, and though some may see it as a flaw I quite like it.  I'm absolutely itching to live in a house, where I can be unafraid of holes in the wall to hang up photographs and shelves for pretty things.

A friend recently gifted me with a copy of Collections of Nothing by William Davies King, and I'm really enjoying reading it, in between writing a bit for NaNoWriMo and trying hard to finish my crochet blanket of course.

No comments: