Monday, February 1, 2010

Holga-moon


Right before Richard and I got married I decided to treat myself to a new camera. A holga, actually. I wanted to do some more experimenting with film since I've really gotten out of the film habit since I invested in a DSLR waaaay back in 2006 while working for the Advance Titan. It was one of those things where I started out carrying both my film and digital cameras with me so I could choose which one was better for the situation. Most of the time, if I was taking pictures for myself it was the Minolta (my film slr) but if I had to be able to email it the next day or send it over for the paper I used my Canon Rebel. After a while of luging both rather heavy cameras around I decided for the sake of my back to only carry one and by default that became the digital.


For ease of use I decided to go with the Holga 135 so I could continue using 35 mm film, after all I have a whole plethora of cameras in my collection that were designed to work with 620 film and are already really hard/expensive to find film for and get the film developed.


I'm still trying to decide how much I really like the holga. I like the style of picture it produces, and I like not knowing exactly what's going to come out of it. But there are somethings I need to work on, like understanding depth of field in this dinky little plastic lens, because contrary to popular belief there is a difference between soft-focus and way out of focus. I think I need to work on taking my small flash with me so that I can work with more than just "available light" - I've already wasted an entire roll because I've basically forgotten how to gauge light without a meter.


In the end, I know its a fun little camera, and as I keep trying to drill into the photo club kids - it's not the quality of the camera you use or even what you shoot - it's how you present it.

No comments: