Friday, March 30, 2012

Dreary Spring Days and Garden Plans

Today was a dreary and rainy sort of spring day, so despite not having to work or run errands I didn't get out in the yard as I had planned.  I did make a dent in the chaos that we call the office and the usual household chores, but I can't wait to get back into that yard and get working on the garden.

Tomorrow I judge my last Forensics tournament of the 2012 season and I'm sorry to see the season end so soon.  But I do look forward to knowing that (for the most part) my Saturdays will be mine again.

Richard has put a seed tray to start seedlings in his window at school where they will receive lots of sun to get them ready for the vegetable garden and the front flower beds.  The photo is from last week and while I haven't seen any more progress Richard promises that a few of them already need transplanting.  I'll start some of the herbs soon and send them over for the same care.


While we were in the yard yesterday Wicket discovered that sticks are for both fetching and chewing.  She proceeded to bring that exact stick into the breezeway each time we returned from playing fetch in the yard, and that's where is resides even now.  There is no doubt she has claimed that stick as her own.

Speaking of spring, one of the perks of Richard's teaching job is looking forward to spring break.  We're taking just a few days to visit family out-of-state before returning for what is sure to be more yard work, basement work, and just work in general.  It'll be Wicket's first real road trip as the furthest she's been before was to Madison and Oshkosh.  She's a trouper though, and we can't wait to see her meet Diego, her canine cousin of the Mexican hairless variety.  Does anyone else look forward to spring break as much as we do?  Or is that a feeling reserved for students and those that teach?  Either way, I hope everyone's gearing up for what looks to be a beautiful spring.

No comments: