Tuesday, September 13, 2011

thoughts on coupons

I promise that I'm not as intense as the couponers featured on TLC's Extreme Couponing, but clipping coupons has become a way of life to stretch our limited budget.

It may sound farfetched, but couponing contributed directly to buying our house.  We never would have been able to save the money for our downpayment without coupons to stretch our budget.  And now that we're fixing up the house coupons and rebates are helping to pay for supplies we need to work.

I suppose all this musing was prompted by something Anna said yesterday.  We were chatting when she mentioned finding this amazing website called fiverr.com where you can post something that you will do or make or send for $5 and people can buy your offer.  She made a comment that if I could just figure out something to post and sell I could stop clipping coupons.  Maybe I'll do it, perhaps I'll come up with something to clever to post and I can start raking in the extra cash, but truth be told.... I won't be able to stop couponing.

Call me crazy, but paying full price for anything is something I can no longer bring myself to do.  Just yesterday my $100+ grocery shopping bill went down to just $57.51 and I managed to stock up on a few staples that will see us through the next couple weeks instead of just one.  This post may very well lead to more musing on the things I do for extra cash, get products for free and to bolster our savings.

No comments: