Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Thrifter's Toolbox

There are so many aspects that I love about shopping secondhand.  I have a chance to find quirky, and even new, craft supplies.  Brand new red fun fur yarn for fifty cents a skein? Yes, please.  The options for vintage accessories at low prices are plentiful if you're willing to look.  And it always feels good to give an unwanted object a second life.  On the eve of my great jaunt across Wisconsin to attend the 100-Mile Yard Sale, I've decided to share some thrifty tips.

My favorite haunts include the usual suspects - Goodwill, Salvation Army and St. John Vianney Thrift stores as well as estate and yard sales.  I have a lot of tips for how to choose a good thrift store or sale, but today I'm sharing the tips of the things I use to find the diamonds in the rough.  These are the things in my traveling toolbox, do you use anything I might need to add to it?

Traveling Toolbox
- Sewer's Measuring Tape - after all, you should know if that bookcase is going to fit in your house... or even your car, and all rolled up the tape fits in your pocket
- Magnet - let's you know what is plain metal and what might be more
- Wet Wipes - I keep these in my car because one never knows what sticky substance you'll find on your fingers after rummaging
- Bags - self-explanitory
- Socks - if you're ever going to try on shoes, you're going to need socks.
- Water Bottle and Snacks - these are especially good to have when hopping between yard sales or even thrift stores as they'll save you a pricey lunch.
- Sunscreen - what can I say?  I burn easily and when I'm out at yard sales, I'll be spending a lot of time under the sun.
- Cash - always cash, always small bills, always makes it easier.  It also helps me keep a budget, plus I always know if I find something ridiculously amazing there's gotta be an ATM nearby.

Those are all the things I carry with me on a regular basis while I'm thrifting.  If you've got any extra tips, I'm always eager to learn.

No comments: